« Swimming and last weekend's workout | Main | Luz on Queer Eye for the Straight Girl »

March 07, 2005

MiniMo(zilla) coming to a cell phone near you

minimo-b.jpg
I thought Asa was going to beat me to the punch with these photos. Here are a couple of photos of MiniMo on a cell phone and PDA taken on my camera by Doug or Asa, not sure who. Anyhow, it's very cool and can't wait for us (well, dougt) to get this out to people. A very rich browser experience on a PDA or cell phone is going to be interesting for both content developers and consumers. The form factor of cell phones and PDAs definitely presents a challenge, but you can see it's not too shabby in these two photos. Having access to the web via these devices is convenient and may prove invaluable.
minimo-a.JPG

**Update**
Even more photos of MiniMo in action. Just in case you can't get enough...

**Another Update**
MiniMo project can be found here: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/minimo/

It's a stripped down browser only product ala Firefox. This is a Windows CE port and also works on Familiar Linux and Symbian. Maybe others on the way, not sure. This is based on Gecko 1.8 off the trunk so fairly recent.

Posted by rebron at March 7, 2005 10:09 PM

Comments

this applies to pda2k/XDA IIs/XDA III/MDA III/M2000/SX 66/ QTEK 9090 etc

I have owned the pda2k for a few months now. its an amazing device, here is my short list of things i am extremely unhappy with even after installing the firmware fixes from imate, the bluetooth is a complete disappointment....and the placement of the mic, the voice FROM your device is horrible to the listener.

There are other smaller issues but I can live with those, but for a 900 USD device its critical that a main feature such as Bluetooth worked as advertised by imate and then the phone call on this quad band phone is no where close to acceptable.

SO i recommend that all general pda2k users email imate management and apply pressure on them to get their engineers to produce a fix before they rob a lot of customers. By the way, there is no official support from imate and they are TOO BUSY RELEASING OTHER PRODUCTS. Imate has promised all their registered memebrs on www.clubimate.com that the new release with ALL the fixes will be released in a few days, but this has been going on for months, few days has transltated into few months and I know pda2k and the series is not a priority for them anymore.

You dont want to beleieve me? visit www.clubimate.com and try and register? what?? you can't? because imate doesnt want potential customers to know the real issues that current owners are actually facing by only alllowing current owners to register and join their forums meanwhile they DO NOT HAVE ANY CUSTOMER SUPPORT ANSWERING ON THE FORUMS....that should be proof enough. visit www.pocketpcdubai.com and checkout the forums section for more info on this.

Management:

mohammad.khalil@imate.com ;
jim@imate.com ;
raef@imate.com

Posted by: unhappy pda2k user at April 24, 2005 05:31 PM

but how well can it render /. :-D

Posted by: bobbo at April 20, 2005 10:19 PM

For people asking about google maps, you can try the following, which is made for mobile web browsers :

Posted by: baush at April 18, 2005 11:34 AM

Thats nice, i posted it on my webby (www.usayd.com)
and i tried it out, it looked nice and all but had huge problems! i cant wait till its officially released (i was running HP iPaq rx3715 on 2003SE)

Posted by: usayd at April 8, 2005 12:49 PM

I got it to work on my Dell Axim X30 624mzh.. errors out on a lot of pages like google.com or cnn.com but it was nice to see something other than Ie working on the axim.

However has anyone else notice that your taskbar gets put on the bottom while it has focus?

Posted by: Corey at April 5, 2005 07:30 PM

can anyone tell me minimo can run on imate sp1 (win2002) mobile.

current release of opera also ONLY runs on win2003 SPs, but there's no browser for win2002 SPs other than builtin ie, which is damn feature-less.

i'd suggest to target win2002 SPs bcoz there's no browser for them untill now.

Posted by: chall3ng3r at April 3, 2005 04:56 PM

It's interesting because of what may come in the future, but the current state of minimo on CE is just unusable.

Perhaps a ways down the road it will be useful; the possibility to switch between portrait and landscape, handling of VGA screens etc other improvements may eventually make minimo the browser of choice on a Pocket PC. Right now though it is pretty useless, IMHO.

Posted by: croft at April 1, 2005 01:34 AM

I copied all the files onto my Motorola MPx 220, and got MiniMo to startup, but nothing happens. Does anyone know if there a way to enter a URL, or even to tell it to go fetch Google?

Posted by: OzDave at March 31, 2005 07:05 AM

Very cool......
Test please with this web site: http://www.sionpassion.ch and send my any E-mail.... thank

Posted by: Raoul Mengis at March 30, 2005 07:38 AM

Add-ons made for Firefox will run on MiniMo?

Posted by: Rodrigo at March 29, 2005 12:27 PM

Hello Guys I found this side (www.onev.com)
really interesting!
Get a closer look ;-)

Now it's time for voice recognition interactive server based platform services for cell phone users even landline will benefit from this awesome technology firm.
The revelotion is here!

or here a nice messageboard with a wide range of news!

patientjuggler

Posted by: patientjuggler at March 29, 2005 07:18 AM

Works with HP iPAQ H6340 using GPRS connection.

Now I'm Waiting for a landscape and auto-resize mode.

Posted by: JayH6340 at March 22, 2005 06:27 AM

Google Maps? No, it appears to crash Minimo (Pocket PC 2003 iPAQ h4350)

Posted by: nandhp at March 15, 2005 12:46 PM

I can't get it to run on my X50v. What file do I run?

Posted by: Deus at March 14, 2005 02:01 PM

I dont want to be a party pooper, but dont get your hopes up too high here guys...

1. Both Opera and Netfront has been developing their Mobile / PDA browser for 4-5 years already - why should the Minimo project manage to develop a contender in a year?

2. On thing is developing for Win Mobile (which has a quite similar development atmosphere as Windows) and Linux - but something completely different is Symbian! The Symbian OS is renovned for being crap and difficult to develop on, so I predict you have to wait a loooong time for a Minimo version for Symbian Series 60/80/90.

3. The largest challenge will anyway be that most of the mass-market Samrtphones have got not got much memory. Even though I understand that Minimo is mainly focussing on the highend pda market, you should remember that in Europe and Asia (where most of the gadgets with phone capabilities are sold) there are sold a lot less pdas than Advanced smartphones. ...and Nokias latest smartphones 6680 and 6630 only have got 10 mb ram.

Posted by: Joar at March 14, 2005 07:33 AM

Ok, where's the PalmOS port? I need this on my Treo yesterday... :p

Posted by: seth at March 11, 2005 01:45 AM

what about PalmOS? i think they have the 2nd largest market share for PDAs.

Posted by: tsahi at March 11, 2005 01:43 AM

Seems to work great on my ipaq 4155. Extra comments and pics here:

Posted by: CT at March 10, 2005 09:28 AM

> Operas browser only runs on phones, not on PDAs.

Posted by: db at March 10, 2005 12:27 AM

Sweet, I just got the iMate PDA2k today, gonna try out minimo now. I hope it does landscape

Posted by: wamatt at March 9, 2005 01:18 PM

Yes, but where the Symbian Series 60 support?

Posted by: Mac at March 9, 2005 12:00 PM

Nice pics... but are there any with anything other than the Google site on it?

Posted by: HTNet at March 9, 2005 09:30 AM

can i have fries with that?

Posted by: b00g at March 9, 2005 08:14 AM

any chance of getting one for J2me enabled cellphones :-)?

Posted by: Anonymous at March 9, 2005 06:44 AM

Very cool! I've been waiting for this!

Posted by: leon at March 9, 2005 06:12 AM

Alex,

Operas browser only runs on phones, not on PDAs.

Posted by: Frode at March 9, 2005 03:04 AM

My experience/status/bug report:
I downloaded the 3rd .zip and it ran off my pocketpc2003 from a storage card. The program took about 6 seconds to draw its basic window, and 25 seconds before google was completely displayed. Tabs do not seem to be implemented yet, and some sites will crash/autoclose the app, including maps.google.com, my.yahoo.com, aximsite.com, etc (perhaps because of javascript?) The return key on the soft keyboard does not automatically 'go' load the page, and i see no method of bookmarks. Scrolling both horizontally and vertically is less smooth than IE, and apparently font size is fixed.
news.google.com wouldn't render correctly, either.
But in all, I'm happy to see it progressing, and look forward to watching it improve! great work, guys.

Posted by: numlock at March 9, 2005 02:33 AM

Give me a P800 symbian version and i will die a happy man! :)

Posted by: KB Jørgensen at March 8, 2005 11:37 PM

On HP3870 with PocketPC 2003 I cant shut it down. Great work otherwise, I was waiting for opensource browser!

Posted by: Janez at March 8, 2005 11:28 PM

Will miniMo also run on Symbian (UIQ) sometime? Netfront and Opera are nice, but I like Mozilla better, and if it comes with landscape mode it would be great ;)

Posted by: Cesar at March 8, 2005 10:17 PM

trejkaz: http://www.mozilla.org/hacking/coding-introduction.html

Posted by: jwb at March 8, 2005 09:15 PM

Wow, nifty. How did they get the title bar at the bottom? In the pic of the "i-mate", the title bar is at the bottom...

Posted by: iPhil at March 8, 2005 08:50 PM

Does it run XUL?
I am working on a barcode reader app for one of those PDA scanners.
That would be sweeeeeeeeeeeet!

Posted by: George at March 8, 2005 07:58 PM

Why can't we have a Qtopia port? Sigh.

Posted by: Trejkaz at March 8, 2005 07:24 PM

You can get the latest copy of MiniMo for Windows CE from http://www.meer.net/~dougt/minimo_ce/

Posted by: cAPTAIN^k at March 8, 2005 06:59 PM

so how well does this compare to opera's already fantastic mobile browser (don't tell me it's free because i don't care about that part)?

Posted by: yi8u at March 8, 2005 06:44 PM

That depends: Google Maps doesn't require Java (it does require JavaScript though). To the best of my knowledge, Minimo supports everything Google Maps needs. (Part of the point is that it doesn't skimp on support for Web standards like some mobile browsers *cough*cough* Pocket IE *cough*cough*.)

Posted by: Alex Bishop at March 8, 2005 01:37 PM

Builds for ARM devices running Familiar Linux and the GPE Palmtop Environment are available from http://www.mozilla.org/projects/minimo/ and a link to a (very early) Windows CE build is included in http://groups.google.com/groups?as_umsgid=42144B49.2000809%40meer.net (usual disclaimers about Minimo crashing, deleting your phonebook and stealing your girlfriend apply).

Posted by: Alex Bishop at March 8, 2005 01:33 PM

I wonder why they all show Google. Google.com is the site with the smallest amount of content ever. Seeing mozillazine.org on a PDA, resized/rescaled and all would be cooler!

Posted by: Anonymous at March 8, 2005 12:59 PM

"but can it display Google Maps?"

That depends if there's java support for Minimoz / that version of Windows Mobile.

Posted by: That depends at March 8, 2005 12:42 PM

very cool!!!

ciao

Posted by: spacemarc at March 8, 2005 12:23 PM

I realised after I commented that I could enlarge the photos, so yeah, all good news. Are there any test builds of this yet?

Posted by: Anonymous at March 8, 2005 11:59 AM

Aah, but can it display Google Maps?

Posted by: Anonymous at March 8, 2005 09:35 AM

Does Minimo support the same kinds of extensions as full Mozilla/Firefox? -m

Posted by: Micah Dubinko at March 8, 2005 09:04 AM

*sighs* I wanted a Palm version so badly...

Posted by: Seth Kinast at March 8, 2005 08:59 AM

Robin: the phone is an Orange SPV E200, which apparently runs Windows Mobile 2003 for Smartphone. The i-mate JAM runs the slightly-overnamed Windows Mobile 2003 for Pocket PC Second Edition, Phone Edition. So it would appear that this is the Windows CE version of Minimo (there's also a version for ARM devices running Familiar Linux with the GPE Palmtop Environment).

Posted by: Alex Bishop at March 8, 2005 08:39 AM

What OS is the phone running? I've got a Windows Smartphone 2003 device waiting for Minimo :)

Posted by: Robin at March 8, 2005 04:37 AM